page loader

Recreational Vehicles Insurance

Recreational vehicles are motorhomes that are classified into three categories. Class A motorhomes can be up to 75 feet long and include converted buses, motor coaches, and luxury coaches. Class B motorhomes include camper vans, travel trailers, and cargo vans. Class C motorhomes are smaller than Class A motorhomes but larger than Class B motorhomes. Class C motorhomes have an over-the-cab sleeping area and can tow a car. If you own a motorhome, then you must have a recreational vehicles insurance policy.

Recreational vehicle insurance provides collision, liability, and comprehensive coverage. It also provides coverage for onboard personal belongings, equipment, and attachments such as satellite dishes. Some additional coverage includes emergency expenses, total loss replacement, and full-timer coverage if you use the motorhome as a primary residence. RV insurance will help to cover excessive out-of-pocket expenses due to the loss of the RV, roadside breakdowns, and accidents that result in bodily injury or property damage.

Purchasing an RV requires a large investment. Class A RVs can start at $50,000 and go up to over $1 million, and Class B and C RVs can cost $40,000 to the mid $100,000’s. The class of motorhome you have will determine the type of insurance coverage you can get, and the monthly premiums will pay. Other factors include your driving history, how often you will use their motorhome, and if you will live in the motorhome.

A minimum amount of liability RV insurance is required in every state, and some states require additional uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. Many states will allow you to determine your own amount of collision and comprehensive coverage. Also, if you borrow money from a lender to purchase a motorhome, then the lender will typically require you to get RV insurance before they provide you with financing. Working with an insurance agent can help you find the right RV insurance for your needs.